Monday, February 23, 2009

No-Snow Days

At the risk of sounding like an old codger, 'When I was your age...etc." I have to say that the school board is either really trying for that obligatory holiday in February or is being run by the same overly cautious individuals with stockpiles of canned food in a bomb shelter waiting for the apocalypse.

Today there is a forecast for 10cms of snow with high winds resulting in a blowing snow warning. No doubt it may be a nasty afternoon, I get that. But anyone who went to school as recently as 5 years ago will remember being in school with windows rattling, snow often sifting underneath the drafty ledges not being able to see the flagpole in the parking lot for blowing snow. All the while Mrs. Whats-Her-Face is still trying to pound pre-calculus into the heads of students who couldn't care less.

Not the case today.

Most schools are already closed on the South Coast in preparation for the storm, no sorry, blowing snow. Ten centimeters can hardly be considered a storm right? Like I said it will be messy at best, that is if it happens at all.

Perhaps I am just bitter that I am now of an age where storm or no storm I still have to go to work. Gone are the days where I could wake up in the morning turn on the radio and cross my fingers for a school closure. If the schools were closed I could drift back to sleep without ever becoming fully conscious. Gone also is the joy of being in school with the weather worsening outside listening intently to every PA announcement hoping it would be "the one". These days the best I can hope for from a storm is a favorable wind to spare my driveway the brunt of the accumulations.

Kids these days have it so easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment